History of the Ladies Auxiliary
Brockville’s Branch #96 Ladies’ Auxiliary is one of the oldest and most active groups in Ontario.
The first Ladies Auxiliary was started with six Ladies in 1926 in the Toronto area.
Formed April 19, 1928, just one year after the Royal Canadian Legion received its charter (1927), the Brockville Ladies Auxiliary has worked hard to assist their Branch over the years.
“This Auxiliary consisted of 26 ladies that went under the title of The B.E.S.L. The British Empire Service League.Eventually, the Legion Auxiliary held an annual convention and later changed its name in 1962 to the present Royal Canadian Legion ” Ladies’ Auxiliary.”
In the early years, women were asked to help wounded veterans who were hospitalized by visiting them as well as sending parcels to them & needy families.
These Ladies served the veterans & their dependants.Thus our Ladies Auxiliary unofficially became a reality of 292 Auxiliaries with 13, 731 members to date.
Today, the Ladies Auxiliary is very active in supporting their Legion Branch and also their communites.
Brockville’s Ladies’ Auxiliary has about 100 members /volunteers who work enthusiastically at catered events, preparing funeral or birthday luncheons etc., organize bazaars & fundraisers and so many other activities within the Branch.
Women interested in becoming a member and getting involved need ony click on the membership on our Home page.